- Jobs requiring machine learning skills are paying an average of $114,000. Advertised data scientist jobs pay an average of $105,000 and advertised data engineering jobs pay an average of $117,000.
- 59% of all Data Science and Analytics (DSA) job demand is in Finance and Insurance, Professional Services, and IT.
- Annual demand for the fast-growing new roles of data scientist, data developers, and data engineers will reach nearly 700,000 openings by 2020.
- By 2020, the number of jobs for all US data professionals will increase by 364,000 openings to 2,720,000 according to IBM.
- Data Science and Analytics (DSA) jobs remain open an average of 45 days, five days longer than the market average.
- market average.
These and many other insights are from the recently published report, The Quant Crunch: How The Demand For Data Science Skills Is Disrupting The Job Market, The report is downloadable here in PDF format ( 25pp., no opt-in). Burning Glass Technologies, Business-Higher Education Forum (BHEF), and IBM formed a research partnership to accomplish the goal of closing the data science and analytics skills gap through data-driven insights shared between higher education and industry.
Key takeaways from the study include the following: